Monday, 18 August 2008

The Journey

Two words: travel sickness. I thought I'd grown out of it a long time ago but disaster struck at the end of the 8 hour flight from London to Chicago...

I thought I'd make it. My stomach was doing somersaults and my temperature was rising but there were only 10 minutes of the flight remaining. "We are about to begin our descent into Chicago," the captain's voice rang over the intercom, "Please fasten your seatbelts." I heaved a huge sigh of relief...I was sure that when I landed I'd feel much better. The plane began to drop...rapidly! I heard groans around me as it bumped up and down and rolled through the sky like a drunken seagull. I closed my eyes. The rollercoaster ride continued. I searched around for a bag. The plane plunged and rose again. I felt my stomach flip. There was no bag. Embarrassment flooded me as I threw up just as the plane touched down. It went everywhere. What a way to start my American adventure...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss swales!

Your the teacher in america!!! Sorry about the travel sickness hope your better. Loving the picture of you and your neice hope she doesn't miss you too much. So the thing with you was as soon as the hectic packing finshed a whloe new sickness adventure started!! Missing you Bye...!

Anonymous said...

hiya miss swales!
BREAKING NEWS!
am moving to scotland in 4 weeks and a cant get a hold of rachel or hannah! But av told catherine she was so shocked...
There is a part of me that wants to go but there is anuva part that duznt.
am gunna miss evy 1 especially YOU!!!!!!
Youve been the best teecha that av eva had!
But a wil definitly keep in tuch wif evry1.
miss ya loadz...
write bck!
luv courtz xxxxx

Mrs E said...

Really Miss Swales I am appalled that you upchucked on the plane in front of everyone! That is no way for a North Eastern lady to behave. However I think it is very funny way to introduce yourself to your new countrymen (and women). I hope you are settling in to your new home okay and getting along with your housemates. Sorry I didn't see you again before you left but hope to speak to you soon!
Mrs E.

Unknown said...

Helloooooooooooo Floppsies mum
Glad to see you arrived in the Windy City without causing havoc(not).
Good to see you can still make me laugh even when your not here. I fo
und your antics on the journey hilarious & keep picturing your embarrassment, wish I had been there. When I'm feeling down I will remember your journey story. Hope I don't start giggling in class as it will sound a bit silly saying "Its that Miss Swales making me giggle".
Soz I didn't hang around when you left but it would have been emotional & I would have hated you going away with me on your mind (as if).
Anyway you enjoy & make the most of it, if anyone deserves it, it is you. Our loss is their gain.
Look forward to seeing you when you come back to KG oops sorry I mean visit. Sorry if this is a bit long winded, promise I will keep practising my writing skills.
Take care
Mrs B
PS.I have a new partner in crime.

Anonymous said...

hiaa miss swales
i am really missing u hope ur having a good time. dont run out of chocolate and tetley teabags there your faves. school isnt as frightning as i thought it would be. although i dont like english because i personally think that i am no good at it. hows work easy, hard or medium. iwas getting lots of homeork but thankfully its dieing down now and is sort of medium level. catherine also told me about her pen disaster in science. its like you have been away for donkeys and im never going to see you again. by the way wen you are coming bac could you please announce it so that we can all know and come to visit you. read the homesickness page it must have been awfuljust as you were landing must have been so embarrassing i know i ould have been. anyway im so happy for you and just have to say you really are the best. ive got 2 go BYE BYE!

xx Rachel xx

Nat Churl Disaster said...

I almost spit coffee all over my computer when I read this. Fortunately, we Americans are a bit more adept at keeping our liquids down.