Monday, 20 July 2009

The Other Day

The other day I went to The Coast. I took with me a pencil or two, a notebook of paper and a bagful of good intentions. I travelled, as is my habit, on the Metro. Usually I like to stand up on the Metro trains and challenge myself to stay upright without holding on to any of the yellow bars. Today, however, I decided to sit down. Unfortunately, the person opposite me had unbelievably long legs, which meant our knees touched awkwardly. Rather than endure this, I decided to sit almost sideways and concentrate on listening to the music my friend, Miss Ward, had sent me. My favourite song that day was a rather sweet song that went:

"Can I have a taste of your ice cream? 
No! 
Mind your own business!"

Outside the familiar buildings and green fields flashed by and inside, my excitement grew. This was a day for escape. This was a day for accomplishing Things. This was the day I was going to draw boats and buy a hot pink ukulele. I arrived at Tynemouth and proceeded up the high street. The colourful flags left over from the last weekend's festival were strung overhead and the sun was peeping out behind the grey clouds. I could taste the sea salt on my lips; it made me hungry.

I decided to go into Subway for a sandwich. I don't like Subway, and I'm a little annoyed that they seemed to have taken over England whilst I've been away. However, beggars can't be choosers. Into Subway I went, and promptly tripped over the step into the doorway. When I say 'tripped' I actually mean 'flew'. My body lunged forward as my toes scrapped painfully on the metal edging to the step. I managed not to fall flat on my face but still found that the seven men sat right next to the door found my entrance hilarious. I ignored their ridiculous grins and tried to swan gracefully past them to the counter. I don't think I managed to convince them; the two youngest just giggled into their drinks. I ordered my sandwich as quickly as possibly (so quickly in fact, that I ordered the wrong sandwich...) and left without making eye contact with any of the other customers. I also managed to avoid tripping up on the way out. 

Things were looking up.

(but not for long...)



2 comments:

Miss Watts said...

Part of this story sounds familiar to something that happened to me last week! It was raining (to make a change) and my bosses brother was bringing some new computers in from the car. I pushed the door open with my back to hold it so he could get in, slipt on the wet floor, and sat laughing in embarrasement on the floor of the front porch!! Oh dear :)

Matt Romeo said...

That's some story there .... ok so i didn't read all of it, but i wanted to post something .. ok .. happy now lol!