Saturday, 24 April 2010

Meandering Thoughts and A Secret


The sky isn't blue today, but it might as well be. I wonder if anyone else knows that, really, underneath the grey dampness of today, it's the bluest sky day of the year so far. Poor things, if they don't know.

I worry that they'll sit in the gloominess of the day and not realise that it's all pretend. Maybe I should tell the man, underlining his important papers in the corner of the coffee shop, that he can wipe the troubled look from his brow. Maybe I should whisper it to the lady in the baseball cap, muttering the list of Things She Needs To Do as she waits for her large-decaf-non fat-soy-latte-extra hot-no water-no receipt-no don't smile at me it's far too early-drink.

I don't think I will tell them.

I'll keep it a secret between you and me. After all, maybe they like pretending that it's a grey nearly May day. I think I'll just keep it to myself that really it's a glorious, magnificent, wonderfully blue sky nearly May day. I think it's the type of secret you have to discover for yourself, don't you think?

Oh, yesterday a large rabbit ran across the doorway to my apartment building.

This in itself isn't strange, rabbits seem as prevalent as rats here. (I used to think this odd, but the place where I live is just that way...rats and rabbits, Gucci and guns...) However, what made this rabbit significant is that I have just finished reading Watership Down. I read it because all my reading for my course is utterly utterly terribly serious and so who wouldn't want to read about prophetic rabbits and cursing birds and magic boats and living happily ever after? So when I saw this rabbit I immediately thought, "Bigwig!" and I just knew, KNEW I tell you, that this rabbit was on an important mission and really I was just a nameless insignificant footnote in his story. It was a nice feeling. If it's all about the rabbits, then I don't need to worry, do I? Of course not. Exactly!

I think this secret blue sky day is affecting me somewhat. It abounds with promise.

The End.



0 comments: