Monday, 2 June 2008

The News

Hello!


I teach the children in my class that an easy way to start a letter is, "I am writing this letter to.." So here it goes...


I am writing this letter to tell you all my exciting news: I am moving to America. Wow - it looks quite scary written down like that! I'm going to be swapping roles from being a teacher to being a student again and starting a course at Moody Graduate School in Chicago (before you ask - no, you don't have to be moody to go there and no, that's not why they let me in!). The course will last two years and, to put it simply, is about how to help people more effectively. Officially it is called 'Urban Studies' and will help me understand more about how to run Christian charities in inner-city areas. I will also be studying Theology (ology means study of and Theo means God) which should also be really interesting and quite different from teaching fractions and adverbs!


A few children (and adults!) have asked me why I'm going to America to study and why I'm leaving teaching. It's really hard to explain as it's not because I don't like teaching. It may surprise some of you to know that I absolutely love teaching - even the water cycle gets me excited! I think working with all of you is the best job in the world; I certainly couldn't sit at an office desk and type all day. Also, you all make me laugh (some of you more than others!). It has taken me a long time to decide whether to leave or not and its only because I believe its the right thing to do that I'm going. Although I'll be very sad to leave I'm also very excited about what will happen next.


I've never been to America before and I don't know anyone that lives in Chicago. Moving there will be an amazing adventure and I'm looking forward to telling you all about the people I meet, the new places I'll see and (hopefully) the exciting new things I'll be doing. I'd like this blog to be an easy way to share this information with you and also help you find out more about a different place in the world. It's for you (not the adults that are peering over your shoulder trying to get a quick peek!) and it would be great if you could tell me what you think and what you would like to write about. I'll try my best to make it interesting although the first few entries will still be from your teacher in England rather than your wonderfully adventurous ex-teacher that lives in Chicago!


Anyway, I have books to mark and meetings to avoid so I best leave this for now. Plus, you really should be doing your homework instead of wasting time on the internet!


So long for now,


Miss Swales


PS If you are going to add a comment to this blog make sure you ask permission from your Mam, Dad, Nana, Grandad, Auntie, Uncle, Pet Dog or whoever looks after you.


PPS Don't really ask your dog; you'll look a bit nutty and he won't be able to answer you anyway...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Miss Swales,
I am writting to inform you about my feelings towards you leaving the school.So here they are...
I was extreamly shocked when you anoucced that you would be leaving for America because I thought when I left the school some other class would be luckly enough to have you as there teacher however that is not going to happen now.But I do wish you all the luck in the world and I think your very brave moving to a country that you havn't even visited!I do wish I could have you as a teacher again beacuse you are the best teacher in the whloe universe!
This paragraph is going to be packed with question so get ready with the answers.Will you ever teach again beacuse you sure sound like you want to due to the fact you wrote "I love teaching" in your last blog?I know we make you laugh loads but who the most? (It might be Qasim beacuse he is the joker of the class!)Do you have a pet dog?(Because if you do you probably talk to him/her alot!)And finally.I bet you don't want to see the little faces of the year 3 children when they get that letter...Do you?

From Catherine

P.S Send us a postcard telling us how good the pizza and chococlate is.

Miss Swales said...

Catherine,

What a brilliant letter; you must have an amazing teacher! I especially liked your use of connectives. 2 house points!

I'll answer some questions now but I think I'll save some for the next blog.

Firstly (check out my time connectives!) thank you for saying such nice things about me. I owe you a high five! I'm very glad I got to teach this class for my last term at the school. You are, to coin a phrase, "proper mint". (Don't tell the posh police that I said that!)

As for my Year 3s...I'm a little bit too scared to see them in case they make me cry!

Will I ever go back into teaching? I hope so but I don't know quite how or where. Time will tell...

Do I have a pet dog? Nope, I wish I did. I used to have a dog called Lassie (and yes I did talk to her alot!)but I only have those tadpoles now, and they don't appear to be too friendly.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of planning an extremely difficult lesson for you all on particle theory.

Thank you very much for replying to the blog,

Miss Swales

Miss Swales said...

Anonymous - I won't be marrying a film star as they live on the other side of America and I'll be too busy working hard writing essays and eating pizza.

Anonymous said...

dear miss swales, i can't beleve you are levaeing --
hope you have a good time in america

Miss Swales said...

Thank you Kieran :)

Anonymous said...

dear miss swales,
i am writing this to ask you a question...
what star is your hotel im america.

connor mcguigan

Anonymous said...

Will you be visiting l.a coz it is huge and you might get lost. i hope you have a great time but dont get squished by the OBEESE PEOPLE

Anonymous said...

hi miss swales
its chatterbox and the artist.love ur blog.how do u feel about leaving kelvin grove? will u be upset? what will u miss the best?
send us a postcard back from america to josiph swan.
c ya
guess who!!!!

Anonymous said...

hello this is rachael how do you feel about moving to america i was hoping i would see you around when i leave but it looks like i won't be doing that within 2 years but hopefully i will see u when you come back and don't worry i wil never forget about you how could i you are the best techer i hade besides mr harris you won't know him so got to go see you soon xx

Anonymous said...

hi miss swales i wonder if youll be discovered took took to holly wood and be in csi laura

Anonymous said...

hi miss swales its laura I hope you have a bill time gud luck

Anonymous said...

Hi miss swales
i really dont want to leave my friends and u my fave teacher coz' ill miss u and start to cry which means im to soft. Just want to ask a couple of questions, How much will u miss everybody? Are u scared about america and how much? There u go. Changing the suject did u like all of your presents and make sure u keep them for america not for home got that.

From obvious
(rachel)

amy r.c said...

miss swales, i am going to miss you so much and oh those assembelys were great just wish u could just do 1 last 1. cant wait till i get into yr6 i am going to be in mrs evereds class, mint!!!
just a few questions.
who was the person that said will u marry a filmstar?
whoever it was they are crazy...
will u regret going???

did u know miss hilton is going to america 2morrow???

luv from amy r.c[who was in miss hiltons class]

ps when r u going to america??

Anonymous said...

Dear m.c swales,
i hav got fantabulus news! ...
i'm moving to scotland so i won't be going to kingsmeadow at all!Am going to falkirk high school which has a swimming pool in'coz its a massive school.R by the way in scotland they hav a main swimmin pool nd a small swimming pool which bubbles up and then you've got a baby swimin pool!But in the main swimin pool it closes a boot 10 o'clock at night 'coz theres a disco on at eleven oclock at nite!FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!But its only ten years old nd up.Its sound mint but sum adults don't agreefor there kids to goout at that time i any ways...
It is sooooooo betta than england.
a few questions...
Have you made wkd mates?
Have you got told off yet? lol
nd
Have you met sum1 who u fancy???

plz reply back!
gud luk

courtz.wuh
xxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

HI MISS SWALES...

Now ur gone am gunna tell u who was going out wif who and who had crushes on peepul!
hannah=conna mcguigan
catherine=kieran bone
nikki=aaron
me=jake--but only 4 a while

crushes

sahar > kieran bone
rahael h > robbie
me > kieran bone
LOAD OF LASSES LYKED KIERAN BONE!
nikki > josh
jamie > kieran bone
Ricky > ME!
Lewis > megan
Jack H > me!
Aaron > me!
Aaron > rebecca
Aaron > rachel p BUT ONLY 4 A WHILE

and thats aboot it a think

thats the 2 classes of year 6 that fancy people and crushes ! lol
that wud of made you laff hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
keep on rokin dn't stop xxx
cee.wuh xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox