Saturday, 4 October 2008

I'm so sorry..

I am so very sorry I haven't put a new blog on here for a while. I will try and make this extra interesting to make up for it but I can't promise anything.

Firstly...in reply to your comments! HA-so good to hear from you-it's hard to believe you're in Year 9 now. I'm glad Q is enjoying Emmanuel, although I knew he's have no problems settling in! AR+NH-thank you for ALL your comments. I'm a little jealous that you get to go shopping in France! Ooh la la! Also, good to hear how everyone is settling in at Joseph Swan. Tell them all I miss them...I really do!! CG-Yes, I have run out of Galaxy but not Tetley. If that happened I wouldn't be able to cope. No one knows how to make a decent cuppa here.

Secondly, let me tell you a little about the sports here. The main sports are Baseball and American Football, although they just call it 'football' here. I'm not sure how they can call it football when they use their hands but that's Americans for you. Confusing. Let me share with you my experiences and observations. I know you can hardly wait...
Baseball
This is quite possibly the most boring game ever. It is worse than cricket. It is worse than sitting in assembly getting cramp in your legs because you are sitting cross legged even though you are 6 feet tall and in Year 6 and getting burns on your hands from clapping so much. I don't think I can describe quite how tedious watching the game was. Let me start from the beginning...that always helps...

I was excited at first. My first Baseball game. In America. The Cubs were playing the Philies. The Cubs had not won a tournament for gazillions of years. This could be the day. The train was full of fans, eager and excited for the days events. I stepped onto the street amidst a crowd of blue and red, enjoying the stalls selling t-shirts and hats and programmes. It was infectious. This was going to be a great day. We bought cheap tickets and entered the stadium, music was blaring and the smell of hot dogs and pretzels wafted up my nose. Delicious. Then things took a turn for the worse. Our cheap tickets meant we had no seats, and we had to sit literally miles away from the action. Once the national anthem was over I tried to make out the tiny figures warming up on the field below. I had no idea which team was which and apparently that is quite important in a game like Baseball. The game begun. Some one pitched the ball. The batsman didn't hit it. They pitched the ball again. Again he didn't hit it. 3 hours later and it felt like the same man was throwing the same ball and the same man was missing the same ball. This was nothing like the Wii. Where were the home runs? Where were the players sliding onto bases in a cloud of dust? It was only the 1st inning and the person next to me informed me that there were at least another 8 more, and that no one knew how long each inning could last. I longed for proper football and its 45 minute halves, I longed for Mrs T's rounders and the bell telling us when to finish. I longed for absolutely anything that I could understand and cheer for. Chess would be better than this! After the 7th Inning (or it could have been before) there was a slight excitement. All of a sudden everyone stood up, the music turned on and they all sang a song. It had something to do with going to a ball game. They were very enthusiastic. Then the music stopped, everyone sat down and..well..that's when I left. I think the Cubs lost.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi miss swales,
Sounds like a great game! (BORING)
So away today was the most embarrasing day in history for catherine graham! It all started last lesson, a science lesson in fact.There i was playing with me pen listening to the teacher then sundenly Jason (this lad) caught my attion and whisper you have pen all over you face i was like yeah right i mean how can i beleive him HE IS A BOY! So i didn't beleive him and carried on listening. Then the teacher said for everyone to move to the front so that we could see the board. Then mary (from primary) caught me other eye and said i really did have pen all over my face and it was black!i do beleive mary so i relised i did have it on and everyone and the teacher started laughing at me!! I sank in my head i was like no no no why why why! But lucky we were in science so we had paper towels and water to clean my self but still come on the teacher laugh i thourght teacher laugh with you not at you :( :| But i am over it now and looking back it wasn't all that bad and i have definetly not using that pen again in the bin it goes! Some good news now i am getting lots of merits and enjoying my secondy school yeh! Hope you find out better ways to experienc america and not with boring games like that... Bye for now from Catherine

Anonymous said...

hi miss swales
your baseball game sounds really interesting!NOT! at least u now kno that u will probs neva see a baseball game in ur whole life coz they r as boring as u have put them. school is gud but i have loadz of homework and i have to write 2 ESSAYS for MONDAY and i have to make a huge poster for RE. but apart from everything is cool. art is one of my best subjects. we're doing perspective and its something i can acually draw! well thats it from but try to do soemthing a little more interesting than watching a baseball game all day! hope the rest of ur days on ur american adventure are much more exciting. thats all from hajra
PS- have u ran out of Tetley tea yet???

Rachel Burton said...

Funny blog!

I've lived in the US all my life, and I can assure you that baseball is nothing short of one of our biggest national embarrassments, and I live here in Cub-happy Chicago. My first and only Cubs game was a let-down as well. I hope you discover some of Chicago's more redeeming qualities!

Anonymous said...

Hi miss swales i miss you so much and 5ds dreaam catchers are starting to look raly cool so when you are next in Gateshead come in to are class and you will think it is a totily diffrent place.

see you soon miss swales pleace come back to the u.k and beekome a teacher so when i am in year 6 you could be my wondifful teacher
from nikita tanya as well tanya from your year 5s xxxx miss u