Tuesday, 30 June 2009

The Man With No Teeth (Part 4)

In his wrinkled hand was a small glowing globe, about the size of a tennis ball. Even at my first glance I knew it was something amazing. As I peered closer I could see that things were moving inside the globe...hundreds of things. I saw small trees swaying wildly, as if in a storm. I saw tiny waves crashing on a rocky shore. I saw a minute ship, complete with rigging and sails, being tossed to and fro on a dark blue sea. At first I thought it was some kind of trick, like a high-tech version of those snow globes my pupils could be guaranteed to give me at Christmas, but I soon began to realise that this was no trick. This was real.

The Man With No Teeth chuckled. "This be my land," he said. I looked into his dark eyes. He didn't blink. I knew he was, as strange and ridiculous as it sounds, telling the truth. I looked again at the whirling world in front of me. I wanted to ask questions, I wanted to know more; I knew this was one of the most important discoveries I'd made in my life thus far... but where on earth was I going to start?

6 comments:

mrs. koch said...

excellent progress. i'm on the edge of my seat. you should write books for children. and grown ups. who long to be children sometimes.

Miss Swales said...

I would so very love to write a book. That's my plan for when I am 80 - buy a cottage in the middle of nowhere, get a dog and write a book.

amy r.c said...

I am really excited now to see what else happens!

i am going away with school on Monday because we managed to get somewhere else instead of Dunkeshouse Wood. We are now going to Robin Wood.

I cant wait!

Love Amy x

amy r.c said...

Hi Miss Swales,

Your assembley yesterday!

I really enjoyed it!

Love Amy x

Miss Swales said...

Thanks Amy!

I'm doing another one on Monday and on Thursday. Hope I don't need to eat pigs' food again...

Miss Swales x

amy r.c said...

Oh hi Miss Swales,

I wasnt in on MOnday because I went to Robin Wood. It was really good!!

But i will be in tomorrow for your assembley, so see you tomorrow!!

x