Saturday, 21 June 2008

The Leap of Faith

The chattering of distant children grew silent. The breeze ceased to blow. All I could hear was the quickening beating of my heart. Determined, I stepped forward and gripped the smooth metal of the ladder. This would not defeat me. Step by step I climbed higher until the steady metal ladder was replaced by the glass-like surface of the polished wooden pole. I reached up, trying to ignore my sweaty palms and trembling feet. Keeping my pace steady, I ascended the Leap of Death until I touched the fragile planks that were flimsily attached to the top of the pole. I pulled myself ungracefully on to the top and, unwisely, looked down. The yellowing grass seemed miles below and did not offer a comfortable landing. My knees shook. Carefully I unfurled my crouching body and stood tall. For a moment I felt like the only being in the world. High up on my unstable pedestal; no one else mattered. I took a deep breath, held my hands up to the heavens, and jumped....

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bang, the shock hit me as I finally got the closes look of the leap of faith.As I was getting my harnis on for the big jump Miss Swales was putting presure on me by saying "I expect you to get to the top!" Although she said that, I still managed to get to the top and jump off the leadge dispite my nerves.The picture linked to Miss Swales blog shows how high the leap of faith (leap of death) is.Anyway I`m very proud and still cant belive i made it!!

Anonymous said...

There is something about the food in the U.S I want to tell you about. although the chocolate in America is not as good as it is in England , the crisps are much better. P.S try Cheetos crisps.
P.S X2 They call them chips in America.

From Matthew.L

Miss Swales said...

Catherine, I wasn't putting pressure on you...I was encouraging you. There's a HUGE difference! ;-)

I am also very proud of you and the rest of the team. Team T were certainly terrific...and also talkative and troublesome!

Matthew, excellent advice. Thank you very much. Will look out for Cheetos 'chips' and let you know if I approve. However, I don't think it will make up for the the lack of Galaxy chocolate. :-(

Anonymous said...

Hi Miss Swales. Greetings from the U.S.A.
Firstly, I would just like to say hello to all my classmates and secondly, toodle pip to everyone who was at Joseph Swan last week. I may have left Kelvin Grove but I still use time connectives. I am having a great time in the 90 degree heat ( it's only 86 in Chicago!)eating Cheetos, sunbathing and swimming, although not all at same time.
Keep on rockin'

Matthew.L

Anonymous said...

Hi. I have some good news and some bad news about the U.S.A. The good news is: I saw a bar of galaxy in a store. The bad news is that it was a tourist shop!

Matthew.L

Miss Swales said...

I think I should cancel my flight...or take an extra bag with chocolate supplies!

Anonymous said...

the leap of faith was mint honestly even though it took me a while to get up i still went on but i made the mistake of lookin down and i couldent move but everyone cheered me on and enspired me to jump and i did woohoo!!!!!

Anonymous said...

australia who?
me
C.P
H H
A A
R R
L O
O A
T H
T
E

Anonymous said...

i am going to florida to stay in orange tree villas for two weeks if it is as hot as matty says wow i'll be swimming with dolphins going down the everglades going to all the parks the coming back jumping into our PRIVATE pool playing on our PRIVATE park or playing in the games room
charlotte

Anonymous said...

yo,miss swales guess who ive been ill all this week and was not able to get to school.i missed allthe snowball fights and amy my new bff missed me.good news though i up and ready 4 school next week bye nikki xoxox