Monday, 11 May 2009

A Canny Time in Iowa


I have just (well, yesterday) returned from a weekend away in a state called Iowa. If you go to Chicago, head right for about 6 hours, you should arrive somewhere near a city called Des Moines. That's where I was. Why don't you take a short break from SATs revision (don't tell Mrs E or Mrs T) and read about one of the water-ridden delights of my trip:


There were two specific watery moments. One in which I stayed dry, the other in which I got absolutely soaking wet. Suprisingly, the one in which I stayed dry is the one that involved a canoe, a runaway oar and an angry bird. However, let's first consider the non-dry event.

As all good storytellers should (and hopefully you will in the SATs writing test) I will begin by setting the scene. It was a beautiful May morning and we had stopped to visit a Tulip Festival in a small town somewhere in Iowa. The sky was a perfect blue and the tulips stood proudly along the pathways in a vast array of vibrant colours. Along the road were stands and stalls of all types, offering giant clogs or sausages on a stick. Children ran across the green grass, happily spilling lemonade down their once clean clothes. We (Miss Prada and I) had been enjoying ourselves greatly. First, we had found a large glittering ruby red throne on which to pose majestically on, then we had made friends with a group of 12-year-old girls who wanted to take pictures with an English woman (we all shouted 'God Save the Queen and Obama!' as they clicked away on their cameras) and now, now we were waiting excitedly in the face-painting queue.

Miss Prada intended getting a flying unicorn painted across her face while I was eager to be turned into a green dragon. We could not wait. Then , disaster stuck. As if on purpose to deny our face-painting adventure, the sky lit up with a magnificent flash of lightening. Thunder echoed around the town square. Everyone began to run for shelter. Everyone that is, except Miss Prada and myself. For some reason we decided to run back to the cars, forgetting they were parked a mile away and nowhere near any kind of coverage. To say we got wet is an understatement. The rain pelted down in large splashes that instantaneously soaked us to the skin. The grass beneath our bare feet became a flood of Iowan rain and the roads became torrents of muddy water. The streets emptied of all but the most foolish of people (that is, everyone that had any kind of sense went indoors but Miss Prada and myself stayed outside). We ran and skipped and laughed and splashed and got exceedingly wet. My hair, my clothes, my skin, my shoes...everything was rain-soaked. It was great.

Except that when we finally got to the cars, they were locked, and when our drivers eventually showed up, we were shivering and frozen to the bone. What is more, trying to change into dry clothes in the inside of a car already full or guitars and rollerblades and suitcases and mattresses, well...it requires a great deal of flexibility. I got stuck several times.

But I'd do it again, maybe with wellies on next time...



We found a dressing-up box and got a little carried away...
This is like those 'Where's Wally?' books you used to read. Where's Miss Swales?!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What about the story with the Canoe. Plus the rain was the best. It should be added that many of our other passengers were a bit peeved at us. Miss Prada

Miss Swales said...

I will talk about the canoe and other Iowan adventures over the next few days...unless people get bored. I think they might.

Miss Watts said...

did you bring me any giant wooden clogs?! :D sounds like fun! I miss adventures like this.

Miss Swales said...

No, I didn't bring any giant clogs for you Miss Watts. Imagine trying to get those through security and on to the plane...

amy r.c said...

That sound sound really fun splodging in the water! Ohhh I wish I could do that! But instead I just have to sit in a boring, dull classroom and do SATs after SATs paper :( It is not very fun.

Enjoy all thw wonderfull things u do.
Speak to you soon,

Amy x